First day of Teaching
Still pretty stressful---work and study.
First day of my teaching was alright. I have a new student today from Korea--Caleb Lee. A really sweet angel. My kids, they are all fantastic. My heart melts when I see them smile. But I have difficulty dealing with them, esp. Caleb. He's a little hyperactive, and Ms Kay told me that his parents are not disciplinarians. Um... Well, but Caleb is going through a lot especially when his mom is not around. His mom delivered a baby some weeks ago in Athens, but she's sent to an hospital in Columbus. The babe is in Athens O'Bleness hospital. Please pray for her. Heard blood comes out from her mouth somehow. (Seems serious) Have this family in your prayers please.
My kids made a marvellous poster for their Rules. They basically have 5 main rules to follow: Active Listening, Raise a Quiet Hand, Sit Still, Be Friendly, Be Polite. When I was teaching them the classroom rules, Akhil said to me suddenly "Ms Carmen, You are friendly!" I was shocked!! What a sweet comment!! Afterall, this is my first experience with kids, and I never thought they would like me. On the other hand, I was little worried cuz that means they think I am their friend more than their teacher. They may not listen to me in class, I may have disciplinary problems later in the year! NOOOooooooO!!!!!!!! After class, I talked to Ms Kay a bit, and I asked her a lot of questions such as how to keep Caleb's attention when he gets fidgety. Ms Kay with over 20 years of teaching experience, she taught me some less intimidating ways to handle the children. I've decided to go to school earlier to observe how Ms. Kay teaches her kids. There's so much to learn from Ms. Kay and the kids.
Another sweet experience: When I was leading my "children" back to their classrooms. Akhil ran to me, and held my hand!! Come on~ My heart melted~~ (In fact, I shouldn't have let him hold my hand because they're supposed to walk with their arms on their side; without touching anything. But how could I let go of his hand? Which may be a kind of "rejection" to him? What should I do?)
Also, Ling Yu loves drawing. He's so quiet when he's drawing on the poster. He can't express himself in English yet, but he tries to express through actions. When I asked him about his drawing on the poster. He didn't know the word "Spiderman", but he acted it out for me!
So funny! I can see their different levels of creativity through their drawings (or scribbling).
I don't mind spending my whole day at EAST actually. I love these kids! In the past, I never wanted any kid to run to me. Kids would either cry or yell when they saw me, so I didn't dare to be near them. More, I hated their yelling/crying so much. God's coool. He's changed me a lot over this half a year or so gradually. I love being with them. Though I need to learn to set my parameters, Ms. Kay said they would test my limits. (Um....) She advised me to speak in a stronger voice whenever necessary. Really a lot to learn!
I went to Gordy (my dept) for my classes after my EAST time. Wasn't so smooth. But managed to do some studying after I came back home. Will study more before I go to bed at midnight tonight.
First day of my teaching was alright. I have a new student today from Korea--Caleb Lee. A really sweet angel. My kids, they are all fantastic. My heart melts when I see them smile. But I have difficulty dealing with them, esp. Caleb. He's a little hyperactive, and Ms Kay told me that his parents are not disciplinarians. Um... Well, but Caleb is going through a lot especially when his mom is not around. His mom delivered a baby some weeks ago in Athens, but she's sent to an hospital in Columbus. The babe is in Athens O'Bleness hospital. Please pray for her. Heard blood comes out from her mouth somehow. (Seems serious) Have this family in your prayers please.
My kids made a marvellous poster for their Rules. They basically have 5 main rules to follow: Active Listening, Raise a Quiet Hand, Sit Still, Be Friendly, Be Polite. When I was teaching them the classroom rules, Akhil said to me suddenly "Ms Carmen, You are friendly!" I was shocked!! What a sweet comment!! Afterall, this is my first experience with kids, and I never thought they would like me. On the other hand, I was little worried cuz that means they think I am their friend more than their teacher. They may not listen to me in class, I may have disciplinary problems later in the year! NOOOooooooO!!!!!!!! After class, I talked to Ms Kay a bit, and I asked her a lot of questions such as how to keep Caleb's attention when he gets fidgety. Ms Kay with over 20 years of teaching experience, she taught me some less intimidating ways to handle the children. I've decided to go to school earlier to observe how Ms. Kay teaches her kids. There's so much to learn from Ms. Kay and the kids.
Another sweet experience: When I was leading my "children" back to their classrooms. Akhil ran to me, and held my hand!! Come on~ My heart melted~~ (In fact, I shouldn't have let him hold my hand because they're supposed to walk with their arms on their side; without touching anything. But how could I let go of his hand? Which may be a kind of "rejection" to him? What should I do?)
Also, Ling Yu loves drawing. He's so quiet when he's drawing on the poster. He can't express himself in English yet, but he tries to express through actions. When I asked him about his drawing on the poster. He didn't know the word "Spiderman", but he acted it out for me!
So funny! I can see their different levels of creativity through their drawings (or scribbling).
I don't mind spending my whole day at EAST actually. I love these kids! In the past, I never wanted any kid to run to me. Kids would either cry or yell when they saw me, so I didn't dare to be near them. More, I hated their yelling/crying so much. God's coool. He's changed me a lot over this half a year or so gradually. I love being with them. Though I need to learn to set my parameters, Ms. Kay said they would test my limits. (Um....) She advised me to speak in a stronger voice whenever necessary. Really a lot to learn!
I went to Gordy (my dept) for my classes after my EAST time. Wasn't so smooth. But managed to do some studying after I came back home. Will study more before I go to bed at midnight tonight.

<< Home