Name:

I would like to share the "bits and pieces" of my life that makes/builds/moulds the current ME, Carmen. I hope you will be encouraged and blessed through the short sharings I have made here. IMPORTANT: PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME (somewhere) IF YOU INTEND TO LEAVE A COMMENT, SO I CAN IDENTIFY YOU! THANKS!

Friday, August 27, 2004

Super loooong week

Today's 26th! Tomorrow will be orientation!

So much happened this week since I came! And I've been witnessing God's grace over the week.

22nd Aug: The day I left NYC. First things first! Please pray for my granny, she's in the hospital. There's nothing much I can do now, but pray! Please have her in your prayers! I reached Columbus, OHIO at 2pm. I was pretty worried cuz I hadn't received any confirmation from Angelica that she's gonna pick me up or not. I had been calling her over the weeks, but her cell was frequently diverted to her voice mail box. When I landed CMH, I called her at once... and she said she's on her way!! Thank God! She picked me up. So we hit the freeway, all the way to Athens, OHIO through "trial and error" we finally reached Athens. We stopped by "The Coffee Cup" for a nice dinner at 4 pm. I ordered a nice chicken veggie pocket! It's really good! I felt so satisfied. We couldn't finish the whole pocket, so we saved half of it. Then she took me around Athens a bit, passed by Bromley (the place I stayed several years ago)... and then headed straight to the Leasing Office of University Courtyard (where I lodge now) The place is marvelous, up on a tiny hill. Ok.. the funny thing happened! I walked into the apartment, seeing one bedroom door opened, I went straight in.. thinking it must be my room. I was so excited to see that cozy little room... clean and neat. Then we left for Wal-Mart for some shopping. Came back and realised that's not my room after checking with the door key! (Why did they leave that door opened then?) Ok.. My room's right next door of that "nice cozy room"... UGH! It STINK!!!!! Horribly dirty, with gum on the carpet and stains everywhere. naaaa~~~ OH! Ugh~~ the bathroom stink!!!! At that very moment, my mind was full of complaints! Then I decided to stay in the living room for a night till they're all fixed/cleaned. Some of you may know, I'm kinda neurotic on cleanliness.. I started cleaning the stinky bathroom at 3 am... with Clorox and bleach! My fingers were then full of blisters and allergy the day after.... hurts.. Anyway, I had a really great shower after that!

Big Thanks to Angelica! She stayed at my place for a night. Directed me to the necessary stuff at Wal-Mart! She helped me a lot!!!! If she weren't there, I could have taken an extra week to get things settled here... esp. without a car.

Thank God! As expected, one of the wheels of my suitcase fell off.. hahaha Good that it fell off when I reached my home!!! Remember I had a hard time pulling this heavy suitcase to my dorm when I came here several years ago!!! :S Now gotta think about how I move things home after my studies. Um... Will anybody bring me a suitcase when they visit me?

23rd Aug: Woke up at 6am, went to Wal-Mart again with Angelica to get food for the week. Said goodbye to her at 10... I was soo sad at that time. I miss her! Angelica also felt bad... she felt she's leaving me alone in Athens. Btw, Please pray for Angelica's mom, she's sick.. we don't know what she's suffering from, but please have her in your prayers too.

After logging on to the internet for around 2 hours. My whole connection was shut down... so then I decided to unpack my stuff till like 9pm. Took a nice bath, then went to bed after doing some reading. Everything's set!

24th Aug: I took my lap top to HDL center to get it fixed cuz they said my computer was infected by this SDBOT virus (never know what that is) . I thought I could pick it up the same day, but in the end I couldn't. My sister was surprised when I told her my laptop was infected. Me too! The technician called me up saying my laptop was infected by 467 viruses!!! SHOCKED!!!! and they needed a couple of days to fix it. Suddenly I remember I made a prayer several months before I came here! I told God that I would like to spend time with Him before orientation, through prayers and bible-reading once I settled down in Athens. Hehe! God remembers my prayer. He knows exactly that INTERNET connection would only hinders my "time" with Him, so He took it away from me.

So, I decided to live up to my promise. And spent time with God. Read several chapters from the book "He Chose the Nails" by Max Lucado. A very good book.

This day, I received a call from Jimmy. He called to tell me about Tithes. He reminded me to offer 1/10 of my assistantship as tithes (Things that Christian oughta do). That's a big challenge, cuz when I was in HK, I didn't offer one-tenth either... I offered less than one-tenth. And now, living on a tight-budget this year... it's gonna be a bit of a challenge for me. Let me break it down for you to understand clearly. I'll be receiving US630 each month for 10 months from the university as my assistantship. My rent each month here for this apartment is US525. That leaves me US105 each month... offering one-tenth should then leave me US32 a month which should cover my living expenses (basically food). I hesitated at first when I received this challenge... but now I'm determined to do that cuz I'll be witnessing God's grace abundantly by then. I hope you too will be encouraged when I share how God's been taking care of me (with that tight tight tight budget).. (honestly, I'm not very confident yet, my faith is still little. Let's see how God's gonna work! ;) ) Please pray for me!! I have faith in God, He's my provider!!

I remember I was really anxious before I left HK, not knowing what would happen to me in NYC or in Athens, OHIO. Didn't know where to live, or how to reach the place. Now I could see, God's blessed me abundantly again. He took me to this place safely, and provided me a nice place to stay. Thank you!

25th Aug: Woke up at 7 30am in the morning. Started reading the bible and praying immediately. Finished off the book "He Chose the Nails" (thumbs up!). Went to the Post Office but it's closed. Have begun writing reflections of God's grace over these months... it's like walking through the whole thing again, and I really see God has never left me! I will be sharing this "book" with others when it's done.

26th Aug: Somebody called at 1am... woke me up from my sleep. I couldn't really sleep well after that, so I woke up at 7 30am again. Picked up my lap top from HDL center at 10am.. YEA! get connected to the internet again. tho' I can't use my webcamera here cuz I haven't brought my drivers with me from home... sad sad sad... Went to the P.O on my way home.. took the transit instead of walking uphill.... But I realised the traveling time on the transit and the walking time is very much the same--30 mins (Pity!) Will be attending the Movie time held by the ISFS this evening at Scott Quad, if possible.